Volunteer Job Description: Adopt-a-Shelf Volunteer
Help library staff maintain its collections to keep materials readily available for patron usage and requests.
- Monitor a section of the library’s shelving to keep materials in order, such as books, audiobooks, CDs, magazines, DVDs, Blu-Rays, etc.
- Move misplaced items to correct shelf locations or the front desk and reorganize shelves as needed to keep them neat and orderly according to DeForest Area Public Library standards.
- Identify and pull items that need new labels or repairs.
- Dust shelves as needed.
Work Environment & Equipment
- Indoor work environment.
- Equipment use will be minimal.
- Once trained as an Adopt-a-Shelf Volunteer, plan to monitor your assigned section two hours per week.
- Day(s) and time(s) are flexible and at your discretion but must be completed during regular library daytime, evening, or weekend hours.
- Requires attention to detail and knowledge of the alphabet.
- Dewey Decimal System training will be provided if needed.
- May need to lift light to medium weight items (e.g., books and audio-visual materials).
- Will need to use step stools to reach high shelves and kneel to reach low shelves.
Circulation Services Librarian